Are you ready for the whole story?
Here it goes .....
On Halloween night I was here alone passing out candy...and I'm usually okay being alone but for some reason it just got to me. I brought a chair out on the porch to pass out the candy so I could visit with the kids a little easier .....and during the slow times I was on Facebook (using my iPad).
One of my friends had posted a darling picture of her dog in a Halloween costume and it started the water works. It made me think of my Fluffy and Sissy and I couldn't shake the sadness. So, I turned off my lights ... got my laptop and spent the next few hours looking at dogs online.
I found a cool website that allowed to you enter what you wanted in a dog and then it would make suggestions. The King Charles Cavalier Spaniel was the 1# choice for our house. Cocker Spaniel was another ...along with a Bichon Frise.
I kept looking ...because I wasn't a fan of having dog hair in the house ....and preferred a non shedding dog (we have horrible allergies ... Brooke & I and Dave is allergic to cats).
I then put the puppy search on the back burner ... decided now was not the time for a new pet.
Until .... I was looking out the front door and saw my neighbor with a dog that look like a Bichon Frise (that's what Fluffy and Sissy were) except it was half white and half black. It was so stinkin cute I had to go over and pet it ...and then I had to ask "what kind of dog is it" and she said it's a mix breed ...a Bichon and something. It was one of her friends and she was dog sitting it.
That's it ...the trigger that started it all ....I couldn't get to my house fast enough ....I wanted to Google King Charles Cavalier Spaniel mix breed. As soon as I did the Cavachon came up. They are half King Charles Cavalier and half Bichon Frise and I spent the next three hours looking for a Cavachon to adopt on Pet Finder. And I found a few but they were not going to be a good match for our home.
I then decided to google Cavachon in the state of Kansas ... or a Breeder in Iowa (not that far from here). I never found a breeder in either state but I found some in ..... Washington, Tennessee, Ohio and a few other. I choose Tennessee because it's my home and I just felt at ease.
Some of my friends were concerned about:
- I was buying a puppy I had never met.
- How did I know I could trust the breeder?
- She's too little to fly on a plane.
- I too have an online business and I sell to people that don't know me ...but they trust me.
- I spoke with the breeder and it just felt right. Also ..how could I resist Bella ...she is sooo beautiful!
- I'd rather take a chance of her flying ...than buy another dog that would result in me being told she'll never live past three or four years old. When you go through an experience like that ...it forces you to look at other options. I felt this time I had to do a better at finding a good breeder. Now after saying all that it makes me sound like I wish I had never had Fluffy & Sissy ....and that's not the case. I loved them with all of my heart. I just want to have a healthy dog for once in my life!! If it doesn't work out ...then at least I can say I did everything I could.
That was the hardest because I told everyone I was never having another dog...and I meant it. So, it's natural that Dave would want to protect me and say NO. But .... when it was time to go to the Jewelry store to pick out a new ring ...I said no .... I wanted the puppy.
As you can see I won .... he gave in :)
After we paid for Bella I was a little worried about the potty training and all the work. But I think God knows this year almost did me in and it was time for some good things to happen.
Bella has slept through the night every night and she goes potty every time I take her outside. She has been the best experience I've ever had with a new pet and I love her soooo much! She's just what the doctor ordered!!!
Stay tuned ...
p.s. I hope you all like animals .... this blog may turn into a blog about Miss Bella.